Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Prop 8

I've been wanting to avoid making any comments about Proposition 8. I had hoped once it was passed it would be a dead issue, but apparently not. So here goes:

I have, or rather had, stood beside the homosexual community for as long as I can remember. I never thought them offensive, they never caused me any harm nor did they ever try to sway me into their midst as so many in the extreme right will have you believe. I was friends with many homosexuals in a time when it was dangerous to do so. I have been a devout Christian all my life and I am also someone who embraces arts, culture, and creativity. The latter has allowed me to interact and truly appreciate the dreams and fears of the homosexual community. While an art major in college I was very outspoken in my support for an end to discrimination against homosexuals... They were my class mates, my friends. I differed from many in the church by supporting their legal rights to civil unions that would afford them legal status as partners. With the growing threat of AIDS, I felt it was important for homosexual partners to be able to share much needed health care coverage, and to make end-of-life decisions for each other, rather than the family that shunned them.

But then the community began to attack my beliefs. I tried to explain that I couldn't support gay marriage because it was a religious rite, and one that shouldn't be governed by law. I could support civil unions but could go no further. Suddenly I was an enemy... After years of understanding their cause, my friends didn't even want to discuss my views. I was shocked and very hurt at the one-sided nature of their behavior, willing to take and not to give. I felt I'd simply been used and now that they had bigger agendas, I was no longer of any use.

I still love them all... It's my nature as a Christian. But in retrospect, perhaps I was too accepting. Love the sinner, hate the sin. So now I oppose the platforms of those I used to stand with and refuse to give any more ground, since they no longer accept me or take a moment to ponder MY beliefs.

And that's the last I'll speak on this issue. My ballots will speak for me from now on.