Friday, March 14, 2008

The Face of Ignorance

Though I certainly do not see eye to eye with them theologically, I have always thought of the Mormons to be fine and decent citizens and wonderful examples of family. So you can imagine my shock when three foolish young men, left to their own devices on a mission in Colorado, decided to vandalize and desecrate a Catholic church. As you can see in the photo at the left, one of them decided to profane the altar, preaching the Book of Mormon with no regard to the sanctity of the space. Another decapitated a statue of a saint and in another picture one of them is "sacrificing" another on top of the altar. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement... When I first heard this story I was outraged. Is this the message the LDS church wishes to  extend to the world? I don't believe that to be true. But it raises the question about whether or not they should be dropping teenagers off in the middle of nowhere to try and gain converts.

Year after year, despite the large cross by my door and the statue of Mary in my front yard, I politely suffer each year's crop of "missionaries" who want me to convert to the church of latter day saints. I personally find the practice offensive, but I don't blame the kids for that. LDS should focus more on missions of good works (feeding the poor, building houses, etc.) than turning their children into door to door salesmen for their church. The result of unfocused, unsupervised missions seems to have resulted in the above photo. I certainly wish no ill will on the three vandals, as I'm certain now that they are facing charges, they are only too aware of the wrong they committed. I do hope that this event works toward a change in policy for LDS missions.